I Really Want to Love LA Fitness
I’m really a big fan of the LA Fitness in San Diego,CA. Unfortunately, I can’t really give it 5-stars. Here’s why…
- The free weight area is always a mess. Plates and dumbbells laying around all over the place. Come on strong people put your freakin’ weights back where they belong. It’s not that hard. Or are you just too weak after your half-ass session of lifting to do the right thing? To be honest, I don’t even go in there very much. It’s all guys and they all seem to stare at your chest. I know that there’s a lot of testosterone flowing there, but some common courtesy would be nice.
- It’s way, WAY over crowded during the weekdays after about 5pm. I can actually feel my stress level going up right when I pull into the parking lot. Not cool. I’ve actually had days where I didn’t work out simply because I didn’t want to deal with the parking issue. That should never happen.
- The TVs have no sound. In fact, I can’t ever remember being able to listen to them. Sure, you could plug your headphones into some type of FM receiver…but who has one of those? Have the people setting up these LA Fitness clubs never heard of the iPod? People don’t listen to a “walkman” anymore so they don’t have a way to get FM signals.
- No Recycling – I see a lot of people grabbing drinks here. Drinks that come out of machines. In plastic bottles. There are NO recycling containers. Somehow, I doubt that the staff is taking the time to go through each bag of trash and fish out the plastic so it can be used again. Bad form LA Fitness….bad form.
Now, lets get on to the good stuff. I said I really wanted to LOVE this place, not dig on it, right? Hi points of working out at this LA Fitness include…
- Group Classes Rock! Hip I like pretty much all of them but the hip-hop and cycling classes are the best. Body works class is challenging and the instructor (can’t remember her name right now) really tries to pump a lot of energy into every class. You can see that she actually cares about people to when she talks with them after class and stuff. If you sign up for this club don’t take a class, then you must be out of your mind. That’s all I got to say.
- The place is pretty much always clean. Even in the peak hours when I’m there, you see people going around and taking care of the place. I don’t ever get that icky feeling that has hit me at other clubs when I realize that the funky smell in the locker room is coming from a certain locker that has funky clothes abandoned at the bottom for months. That’s just wrong. Thank God we don’t have to deal with that here.
- While the gym manners in the weight room need to see some improvement, the rest of those who frequent the other zones of the club seem to be top-knotch types. They’ll wipe down the surfaces of treadmills and the circuit training machines like they’re suppose to. People seem kind and willing to say hi and stuff, but they don’t bother you or distract you from your workout. Best of all, guys don’t hit on you. That’s always been a problem for me and I’m in a serious relationship. I just like to avoid awkward situations like that.